To avoid health problems and, especially, to keep them in the best conditions, it is recommended to clean the pillows at least once a month. Pillows are one of those household items that need special maintenance to keep them in hygienic condition and fit for normal use. Although very easy to ignore, this element absorbs traces of sweat and particles of dirt that create a perfect environment for the growth of mites and bacteria.
Although we usually put a protective case, it is inevitable that, at some point, they begin to acquire dark spots and unpleasant odors that make us think of throwing them away.
However, before taking such drastic measures, it is good to keep in mind some cleansing and disinfecting tricks that, for a low cost, help give them a better look. In this opportunity, we want to reveal the 5 best so you do not hesitate to put them into practice, at least once a month.
1. Baking soda and vinegar
A blend of baking soda with white vinegar results in a 100% natural product to whiten and soften the fabrics of the pillows.
These ingredients have antibacterial and whitening properties that facilitate removal of dirt and sweat stains.
- ½ cup baking soda (80 g)
- ½ cup white vinegar (125 ml)
- Put the pillows in the washing machine and, when the water covers them, add the baking soda and white vinegar.
- Let the usual cycle complete and let them dry in the sun.
2. Hot water and lemon juice
It is no secret that fresh lemon juice is one of the most effective whitening and disinfecting agents offered by nature. That’s why it’s no wonder he’s also one of the best allies to leave the pillows fresh and spotless.
- The juice of 6 lemons
- 2 ½ liters of water (10 cups)
- Heat the water and, when it boils, add the juice of 6 fresh lemons.
- Carefully submerge the pillow and, if necessary, add more water until completely covered.
- Leave to soak for 2 hours and wash with your usual detergent.
You may also like to read: Are You Searching For The Best Electric Toothbrush?
3. Sodium bicarbonate and tea tree essential oil
By combining ingredients such as baking soda and tea tree essential oil we can make a dry detergent to take care of our pillows.
This product facilitates the removal of yellow spots and, thanks to its antibacterial action, removes dust mites and bacteria.
- ½ cup baking soda (80 g)
- 10 drops of tea tree essential oil
- Pour the baking soda into a bowl and mix with the tea tree essential oil.
- After obtaining a uniform product spread it on the pillow and allow it to stand for 45 minutes.
- After this time, rub the remains with a brush and remove the excesses.
4. Detergent and borax
The trick of detergent and borax has become quite popular all over the world as one of the best prepared to leave the pillows free of dust and with a 100% renewed appearance.
Its properties eliminate the traces of sweat and other particles that gradually leave stains difficult to erase. They also have potent antimicrobial properties that help kill mites and other microorganisms.
- 1 cup detergent (200 g)
- 1 cup of biodegradable dishwashing soap (250 ml)
- 1 cup bleach without chlorine (250 ml)
- ½ cup borax (80 g)
- Hot water (the necessary)
- First, remember that it is necessary to take precautionary measures to avoid poisoning. Thus, the use of gloves and masks is recommended.
- Then add the products mentioned in the washing machine.
- It incorporates one or two pillows inside the machine and, after adding hot water, starts the usual cycle.
- When finished, put them to dry in the sun so that they do not acquire a musty odor.
5. Hydrogen peroxide and lemon
The blend of hydrogen peroxide with lemon allows us to get home bleach with powerful actives that remove sweat and saliva stains from the white pillows.
- ½ cup lemon juice (125 ml)
- 1 cup of hydrogen peroxide (250 ml)
- Put the ingredients in a bucket of hot water and soak the pillow for an hour.
- After the indicated time, rinse in the usual cycle of the washing machine and put it to dry in the sun.
- Do you notice your yellow and dirty pillows? Choose any of the tricks mentioned and keep this element clean and free of harmful microorganisms.
You may also like this blog.